Thursday, November 1, 2012

Corn Chowder


Did you know that you can buy corn soup in a can from a vending machine on the side of a dirt road in Japan?  Well you can! and in the same vending machine you can buy your hot or cold coffee, tea, juice and soda.  The vending machines here are pretty awesome and there're everywhere....seriously everywhere!.... im really not kidding here you can literally drive within 15 minutes of any vending machine no matter where you are.  I even buy my eggs fresh from a vending machine outside the base gate near a traffic light.

If you need a quick left over meal on those nights where you don't have time to cook, this corn chowder is great. I was able to reheat a bowl of chowder for me and the hubby 3 different nights in less than 10 minutes, before rushing off to night school or coming home late from work.

Corn Chowder
Adapted from Tyler Florence
Yields 8 servings

Ingredients

1 tablespoon salted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 springs fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1/4 cup flour
6 cups vegetable stock
2 cups half and half
2 large potatoes peeled and diced
2 cups frozen corn
garlic salt and pepper
1/4 fresh parsley chopped

Directions

- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add your onion, garlic, and thyme and cook until the onions are soft about 8-10 minutes.
- sprinkle the vegetables with flour and mix well
- Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to a boil
- Add the half and half and potatoes and let the soup boil for 10 minutes to help the potatoes break down
- Add your corn and season with salt and pepper and simmer until the corn is soft, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- stir in the parsley and serve


10 comments:

  1. Egg vending machines?! That is SO cool! I've never had corn chowder before, but if i'm gonna try something for the first time, I'm gunna make it, so thanks for the recipe! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the egg one is my favorite, I hope you like the chowder and you can always season it to your taste. The recipe barely has any salt in it unless you add it yourself :)

      Delete
  2. Those are quite the vending machines! I love corn chowder. It's a perfect cool weather meal! This one sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your absolutely right, the weather was cooling down around here and corn chowder made the best ultimate cool weather meal.

      Delete
  3. Ahh I LOVE corn chowder, this sounds so good! Dang, those are some cool vending machines, I wish I could buy local eggs like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the first time I saw the egg vending machine I was in awe, a local farmer restocks it every morning with fresh eggs from her farm.

      Delete
  4. That's a new one on me ... an egg vending machine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that corn soup, miss them lot here. If you can find recipe for me that is great.

    I love your corn chowder Looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! It's been ages I have not had corn soup! This chowder looks so good & comforting. Love to try this ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious, Neshanne ;) I love corn chowder, and I have a feeling your recipe is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...